11 May 2009

Annual Health Check

How many of you fear needles (the ones used in hospitals)? Well, at least I do. And this fear hasn’t left me even after uncountable injections that I’ve received. People just say, its just a prick, its smaller than a wound or anything like that. Why do you fear it?

How do wounds occur? You’re just playing or working, when suddenly due to some mishap, you get a big cut. And if you could ever predict you would get a cut, you wouldn’t do that thing. Now imagine the following scenario.

You call the doctor and take an appointment date. You go to the hospital and wait for your turn. When your name is called, you go in a small room where they make you sit on a high chair. Then someone comes and cleans your arm with antiseptic lotion. Then he takes a knife, and very carefully peels off some part of your skin. Probably the wound he makes isn’t even close to the random unannounced accident.

I think its not about the small prick, its more about the build-up. The whole scene, the hospital environment, the waiting and then the actual act. Nonetheless, we must understand, its all in our mind. The nurse who is doing it is well trained, the syringes are new and unused, and you’d come out alive (rather pretty much the same).

Annual health checkups are a very essential thing, and everyone should have them. I am really fortunate that my company provides this facility to all its employees for free upto a sum of 2500 grand. But still, the damn needle hurts yaar.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the build-up of the tension is killing...!

    I have been told that a tooth extraction is the most painful experience. That has detered me to never get a tooth extracted until now. So may be the fear in this case is helping me.

    ReplyDelete